Thursday, December 30, 2010

First post

Welcome to my little slice of the world wide web. In this blog I will try to describe the trials and tribulations of trying to become a successful real estate investor. I will try to describe in as general terms as I can, no sugarcoating and probably not always politically correct but what you will get is true and tried experiences from real life.

The first important lesson that I quickly learned is that there is no easy way to riches or wealth. I can not spend 99$ on this great book that will teach me all the ins and outs of investing in real estate and then kick back on a beach with lots of beautiful women around me. what I do get for 99$ is a book that describes how to buy the next book or boot-camp for 1000's of Dollars making someone else rich while I am still looking for that magic way of doing nothing and earning lots.
 

My overall goals with real estate investing is to one day generate enough income so that I can one day walk away from my day job and never look back. I don't hate my job but I dislike all the politics that comes with working for a large corporation (really any corporation). I am also somewhat of a control freak so I like making my own decisions (Good and bad which I am sure you will see soon enough)..

So what experience in Real Estate do I have?

I have done and still do a lot of renovations and home improvement to my own home, my father taught me a lot when I was younger, he bought a summer/vacation home that we constantly remodeled or improved, I can do most things on my own (electrical, drywall, flooring, cabinets, paint etc). What I do stay away from is anything related to foundations, Plumbing/Gas and HVAC, there is a reason these guys are paid well, they know what they are doing.

So far I have managed to put together a rental portfolio consisting of one house (yeah yeah I know not much to write home about). That house is cash-flowing nicely in a stable neighborhood with a few percentages of appreciation every year. I have owned it for 2 years and found a great long term tenant that so far has never been late and since I did quite an extensive repair before I rented it out I have not had to go out on any repair calls apart from the annual AC inspection/tuneup.

I think this will have to do for a first post. Please come back and view my progress, feel free to leave comments or questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment